Image Map

June 1, 2013

A Happy, Summer Chalkboard

HELLO SUMMER!
No more schoolwork, field trips, signing forms, remembering dress down day or show and tell, no book reports, spelling tests, history narrations!
SUMMER IS HERE BABY!
And I'm straight up stoked about it.

So why not greet summer and pretty up my chalkboard with stenciled lettering and a fun way to remind us that the relaxing warm season is here?

So I pulled out some supplies and got started.  
{Stencils, water, q-tips, lint free cloth and chalk}
I wanted it to look nice but not perfect.
I have a chalkboard that sits (a little too high...boo) above my fireplace that my Dad and I built together. I like to put quotes, family goals, or bible verses up there.

But this time Hello Summer seemed the perfect sentiment.  The season where our family makes trips to Disney and the beach, our hair smells like chlorine and towels hang to dry on the pegs outside on the deck.  Where I only wear flip flops, we jump through sprinklers, stay up late listening to the crickets and  wishing there were fireflies in Florida.
Why isn't there?
Moving along...So I grabbed some stencils and chalk and stenciled out the words HELLO SUMMER.  I shaded the letters by rubbing in the chalk to fill each letter.  It does not take a lot of time but a few times I messed up and had to start over.
I used the water and q-tips to clean up edges but I wasn't too fussy.
After I was done which took about 30 minutes with all my starting over...I was relieved to be done.
Then realized the chalkboard was upside down.
What the what?
At this point I am a little irked with Summer.
Sigh. So I did it AGAIN.

 I added a rainbow pom pom garland to amp up the happy. 
Don't you just feel happy when you see pom poms?  I do. I started feeling better.
And I added a trendy arrow.
That points to nothing summery. Just the door to the laundry room.
But it looks adorable.
Here's the view when you walk into the room.

So hello summer.  
And see you later my sweet friends.
:)

12 comments:

  1. SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER CUTE!!!! I do believe that I NEED ONE OF THESE!!!!! You always come up with the best stuff my friend! All of your projects are FABULOUS!!!! I am going to have to feature this one SOON!!!! I had to share your beautiful wreath in my best of friends post...it is truly AMAZING! This one though simply makes me SMILE and I think all that see it will feel the same way! Thanks for being you and always spreading CHEER! Hugs and yours...especially the kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think my first comment went through : ( So I will have at it again : ) I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this creation!!!! It is fun! fabulous! fanciful and simply fantabulous (yes...that is a word in my head : ) I am going to have to make one of these...it simply makes me smile and why not have EVERYONE smile that walks in right!!! You sure know how to create something special! I love all of your new creations especially the wreath! I even featured it in my best of friends! : ) The only downside is that I think I am beginning to become addicted to pom poms...I don't think there is a cure for that : ) Thank you my friend for always spreading cheer!!! Sending hugs to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Pom poms *DO* add the best shot of happy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way fun!!! {sorry u had to start over but it looks worth it!}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how nice. Looks great.

    Have a nice day.
    Katharina

    ReplyDelete
  6. chalkboard. yes please. rainbow pompom garland. double yes please. :) just love it so much! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Haha I love it when you tell us about your mess up's. : ) I make a lot of little mistakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual you have given me a simple and easy (and fun) thing to do. I too have a chalkboard (hangs a little too high in my dining room that I use for the same thing) and it's in need of a new quote. I'm going to borrow your idea and may change the arrow for fireworks;) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! First, this is ADORABLE! I am seriously inspired to go grab an old framed print from Goodwill and some chalkboard paint. LOVE IT! Second, your comment on my blog was so very sweet! Thank you for taking the time to share your words of encouragement with me! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for showing how you did those letters. I always see great fonts on chalkboards but never figured out how they did it. Now I know!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmygoodness I cannot take it how cute this is. I mean SO CUTE!!! Please oh please share where you get those rad stencils. Because you are genius and I never thought of using stencils on a chalkboard. Life changing I say.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!